Family Tree Rules
To keep all of the data within the family tree consistent, it helps to follow a few rules when entering information about people. If you have any questions, please contact me.
- The first rule is to respect people's privacy. It is important to me that everyone feel comfortable with the site, which means getting permission if necessary before posting information about someone.
- When entering a woman into the family tree, please use her maiden name as the primary surname. A married name can be provided in the appropriate field if necessary. Similarly, following a marriage, edit the name to include a married name, but do not change the original name.
- Please enter dates in the format DD-MMM-YYYY, where MMM is the abbreviated month in English (months will be automatically translated when displayed, but must be initially stored in English). DD-MMM and MMM-YYYY are also acceptable when the full date is unknown.
- When entering places, please provide as much detail about the place as is known. The general format for places is City/Town, County/Region/Area, State/Providence, Country, with each separated by commas. Please avoid abbreviations other than "USA" (United States of America is just too long :) ). If a part of the place is not known, leave it blank, but include the extra comma (ie, Boston,, Massachussetts, USA).
- Please always be as specific as possible with any new information. Hopefully, this site (or at least the data it contains) will be available long after any of us are still around.